Trident Plastics Newcastle. Poly Welding from Newcastle Industrial Plastics.InstagramNewcastle Industrial PlasticsPipestar Australia

Business down but not out

Central Western Daily
31 October 2013

Pipelines business down but not out

Their business might have burnt to the ground in a spectacular blaze on Tuesday night but Blackpoly Pipelines Australia (Newcastle Industrial Plastics Central West Workshop) co-owner Jo Wyse said they will be back.

Emergency services were called to the Corporation Place factory at 7pm to find the building well alight with thick black smoke billowing over Leewood Estate.

Orange Fire and Rescue NSW station officer Paul Collis said there were a number of plastic sheets in the area where the fire started.

“It was really difficult conditions inside but we managed to save the office,” he said. “Smoke that comes off plastics isn’t good for you.”

Ms Wyse said the plastic pipes and fittings company employs ten staff in their Orange factory and it was these staff who called to alert her about the fire.

She said she was feeling positive for the company’s future despite the losses they had suffered in the blaze.

“These things happen and as long as it’s insured,” she said.

Canobolas Local Area Command Inspector Dave Harvey said there were no injuries to workers at the factory.

“Forensic services group from Bathurst attended and examined the scene with detectives from Orange,” he said.

Ms Wyse said Blackpoly Pipelines has been located in Orange for 12-years and is part of parent company Newcastle Industrial Plastics.

“We’ve never had all our eggs in one basket because work goes up and down.

“Flexibility has been the name of the game.”

She said contracts to supply products to Cadia Valley Operations will continue despite the blaze.

Ms Wyse said they will rebuild and just prior to the fire were hoping to expand.

“We had a DA [development application] in at Orange City Council to expand the workshop,” she said.

Fire crews were called back to the property yesterday.

Inspector Harvey said a report on the incident has already been prepared for the coroner.

Reported by Nadine Morton in the Central Western Daily, October 31, 2013